I get a kick out of assemblages- particularly complex functional objects. Creating something that 'works' is enormously pleasing.

I've been playing with hanging lanterns lately. When you're crafting a light-bringing vessel that hangs from a ceiling, there are several specific considerations...

  1. Strength- particularly at the point of attachment. (You don't want a five-ten pound ceramic chandelier falling like a depth charge on someone's head)
  2. Discrete, efficient passage for the wiring
  3. Aesthetically pleasing casting of light
Here's a design that I recently drew up- evoking a Japanese garden lantern. The chain would attach through a clay chuck that holds the main lantern body. The plan was to put glass panels in the windows.

Picture
So- I built the main components... and then (in classic scatterbrain fashion) forgot to add the 'roof'!

I also realized- upon assembly- that there's a significant functional problem remaining. I can attach the glass lenses to the aperture (using silica adhesive). However, if the bulb is inside the lantern- this would mean that the owner would have to pull the glass panels off and re-attach every time he/she needed to change the bulb.

This is not a big, hairy deal if I'm to be the user... but if I want to sell the thing, it's more of a problem.
There are a couple possible 'fixes'...

I could make one side of the lantern 'hinged' to open. This would- of course, necessitate the use of hardware.

Alternatively, I could leave an aperture in the base.

Neither option seems ideal.

Still- I really like the look of the piece (in actuality, I think that the oversight on the 'roof' may have been a good thing). Definitely worthy of further exploration.

 


Comments




Leave a Reply